Hamilton Arts Council (HAC) is thrilled to announce a spectacular line up of live music as the BIPOC hArt Music Series returns for a third installment. Featured artists and groups from across the Greater Hamilton Area and Six Nations of the Grand River will be performing live on Friday, October 14, 2022. Performances begin at 7:00 P.M. at Bridgeworks, 200 Caroline Street North in Hamilton.
Featured artists and groups in this latest installment of the Music Series includes:
- arttheboy (aka Arturo Jiminez) delivers high-energy alternative pop with influences of beat-based music of the late 80’s to early 90’s.
- Keturah Morris is a Gospel, Jazz, and Neo-Soul artist who will ‘excite and inspire’ audiences as she performs with an 8-piece band.
- DayWonRecords (Wes Gray, Gary Walsh, Bryson McDon, Jemma Neal, and Angus Mitchell) are a rap collective, who bring lyrical hip-hop with a fun and thought-provoking high-energy set.
- Jory is a Canadian-Korean alternative pop singer and songwriter, a former winner of YTV’s ‘The Next Star’ Jory’s harmonic influences inspire intensity, smokiness, and fervor.
- Garnetta & Dagroovmasters deliver powerhouse vocals from Garnetta Cromwell with the Dagroovmaster’s soulful blues, their style of upbeat music is sure to bring ‘pure joy’ to the audience.
The second iteration of the series, produced this past March, was an incredible success. The performance featured four emerging Hamilton-artists and offered tickets on a pay-what-you-can-basis, serving as a platform to showcase local talent as well as diverse perspectives. Performances incorporated sound, dance and costumes to the delight of audience members. With a similar formula for the third edition, organizers are expecting a similarly successful event.
Emerging artists performing as part of this Series were selected following an application process that assessed their goals/vision, career development and examples of work. Applications were juried by a panel of music industry experts including; DeShaun Jones returning to work with HAC in his role as the music series host and curator; Lisa LaRocca, Director of Operations at local independent label Sonic Unyon Records; Zahra Habib, Award winning DJ, producer, radio host, and music community builder; and Brad Machry, Music management and royalties & licencing specialist.
Jones has played a key role in the establishment of the series. A music industry consultant and producer, Jones has been involved with the Hamilton Arts Council and the BIPOC hArt Music Series since its start. His experience in the music industry, working with record labels, radio stations and distribution companies has been well-received by the emerging artists as they continue to grow their fanbase. Jones will host the October 14 event at the Bridgeworks.
“These five extraordinary artists are all on a path of professional growth and development” says HAC Programs & Community Engagement Coordinator, David Hudson. “The impact of the BIPOC hArt Music Series is not just limited to an exceptional night of music for audiences, but also professional relationships that are forged by the artists in preparation for (and follow-up from) the show.”
The featured artists performances will be professionally filmed and edited to produce valuable resources in their respective career development.