Snapshots is your overview of the last week in the arts and entertainment community. From the movers, shakers and moments that matter- and moments that could- Snapshots is everything you need to know at a glance to stay connected to the Hamilton arts sector.
- Centre ’s annual art show and sale returns this year from December 10-31. Featuring work from artist members, including prints, paintings, textiles, ceramics, apparel, and stationary, all priced under $200 and with proceeds directly supporting local artists. Purchases can be made either in person at Centre  (173 James Street North) or in their online shop.
- This week is the final week of the Workers Arts and Heritage Centre’s latest exhibit, ¡Adelante Siempre! The exhibit, which closes December 11, “endeavours to tell the living stories of garment workers and their leadership to honour their labour, lives, resistance, joys and triumphs.”
- This week is also the final week of the McMaster Museum of Art exhibit Immune Nations. The exhibit, which closes December 10, is “an evidence-based exhibition about the constructive role that art can play in public discourse around life-saving vaccines.
Award Season Is Upon Us
- The City of Hamilton has opened the nomination process for their 2022 Arts Awards. Nominations will be accepted until Friday, January 14, 2022 in the categories of Creator and Lifetime Achievement Award; Arts Champion Award and the Shirley Elford Emerging Artist Commission Prize. The Awards seek to recognize the outstanding achievements of the local arts community, individuals, organizations and community members who support and engage in its work throughout the community.
Here & There
- Looking to serve the local arts community in a leadership capacity? The Hamilton Arts Council has put out a call for applicants for their Board of Directors. Find out more here and apply before January 5, 2022.
- The Hamilton Fringe Festival is accepting 60-minute original play submissions for their New Play Contest 2022. The submission deadline is December 15. The winner of the contest receives a free 60-minute production slot in the 2022 Hamilton Fringe Festival and a $300 cash prize. Two runners up receive a festival Fringe Binge pass.
- The CAFKA – Contemporary Art Forum Kitchener + Area is seeking an Operations Manager. The deadline to apply is December 19.
- Cobalt Connects is looking to hire a number of individuals as Production Assistants for Hamilton Winterfest. The deadline to apply is December 29.
- Theatre Aquarius is seeking a Director of Marketing and Communications. The deadline to apply is December 30.
- The City of Hamilton will commission a permanent public art work(s) to be installed on Locke Street at the southwest corner of Jackson Street. Artists will be selected by a citizen jury through a two-stage process. Short-listed artists completing a Stage 2 submission will receive a $700 honorarium, with the winning project being awarded $70,000. Submissions must be submitted by Thursday, January 13 at 3pm to be considered.
- GritLIT is now accepting submissions of fiction or creative non-fiction (3,000 words or less) for their 2022 Short Story Contest. Winners receive $500 (First Place), $150 (two Honourable Mentions). All winners will be invited to read at gritLIT 2022. Winning stories will be published on the gritLIT website. The deadline for submissions is January 15, 2022.
- The Concession Street Business Improvement Association is looking for a banner design to be installed in 2022 on light poles within the BIA area to create a colourful, bold, thoughtful art experience throughout Concession Street. Three selected artists will receive $165 for their design; the winning designer will receive an additional $1,000. Submissions due by January 15, 2022.
- For those looking to enter the Fringe Festival, their lottery is now open for all categories. The 2022 Festival will run from July 21-31, 2022. The deadline to receive lottery applications is January 24, 2022, with the selection process taking place both live and in-person on January 26, 2022.
- The Hamilton Film Festival is launching a Media Arts School in 2022 and seeking instructors. Proposals are currently being accepted on an ongoing basis for one-time or series of workshops, as well as pre-designed camps.
- The City of St. Catharines is seeking a Culture Coordinator. The deadline to apply is February 28.