Snapshots is your overview of the last week in the arts and entertainment community. From the movers, shakers and moments that matter- and moments that could- Snapshots is everything you need to know at a glance to stay connected to the Hamilton arts sector.
- Congratulations to Porch Light Theatre, who was recently named Theatre Aquarius’ 2022 Company-in-Residence! As Company-in-Residence, Porch Light Theatre will collaborate on building programming and curriculum, as well as engage in conversations, classes and activities with Theatre Aquarius staff.
- The Safer Spaces Project aims to ensure the physical, emotional and mental well-being of everyone in performing spaces. Audience members, performers, volunteers and arts workers are invited to complete the Safer Spaces Survey and provide their input on this topic.
- With new provincial restrictions in effect to minimize community spread of COVID-19, the Federal government has confirmed that the Canada Worker Lockdown Benefit, the Canada Recovery Caregiving Benefit and the Canada Recovery Sickness Benefit have been extended to May 7, 2022. As of December 30, applications are open for an expanded Worker Lockdown Benefit.
- Organizations affected by revenue losses due to the most recent regulations may also be eligible to apply for wage and hiring support and/or the rent and property expense programs.
- The Hamilton Philharmonic Orchestra’s January 29 performance of Postcards from Buenos Aires is postponed to a later date. A new concert date will be announced in the future.
- The Hamilton Conservatory for the Arts has postponed their February 13 piano recital featuring Valerie Tryon. The recital has been rescheduled to March 20, 2022 and available to stream, as well as attend in-person.
Here & There
- The Dundas Valley School of Art is accepting original art submissions in all mediums between February 7 – March 10, 2022. Artwork will be auctioned off at the School’s annual fundraising event. Find out more here.
- The Art Gallery of Hamilton is seeking submissions from emerging and established local and regional artists for their April 28 – May 1, 2022 art sale. Interested artists may submit up to 10 works for consideration by Tuesday, February 22nd at 9am. Submissions will be reviewed and juried with all applicants notified of their results in March. Find out more here.
- Dance Umbrella of Ontario has launched a research and feasibility study for the Ontario Dance sector. As part of the study, they are compiling a current inventory of dance-specific rehearsal and creation spaces in Ontario. If you have rehearsal space for rent available to professional dance artists, please complete the space inventory page here.
- The Hamilton Philharmonic Orchestra is looking to fill two positions as soon as possible; Education & Youth Orchestra Manager and Development Officer. Applications will be accepted immediately with interviews taking place until the positions are filled.
- Centre in the Square is seeking a Production Manager. The deadline to apply is January 28, 2022.
- Deadline Extended- Hamilton Artists Inc. and Factory Media Centre are partnering to offer eight micro grants to artists working in any medium. Six $500 cash grants, and two media grants (valued at $1,000 of equipment rentals) is available to artists working in any medium. Micro grants may be put towards the cost of creating new or in-progress artworks, with funds spent by March 30, 2023. The new deadline to apply is January 29, 2022.
- Hamilton Artists Inc. is seeking proposals for the Cannon Project Wall; an 8×33 foot billboard on the side of their building at the corner of James and Cannon Streets. The successful artist will be paid based on CARFAC standards. Where possible, costs related to fabrication and installation will also be covered. Artists must apply by January 29, 2022.
- GritLIT is now accepting submissions of fiction or creative non-fiction (3,000 words or less) for their 2022 Short Story Contest. Winners receive $500 (First Place), $150 (two Honourable Mentions). All winners will be invited to read at gritLIT 2022. Winning stories will be published on the gritLIT website. The deadline for submissions is January 31, 2022.
- The June 4 Imagine in the Park Festival is seeking professional artists and authors who are interested in hosting interactive workshops at Gage Park or creating virtual workshops. Interested parties are invited to apply by February 1, 2022.
- Kitchener’s Open Ears Festival of Music & Sound is seeking a part-time General Manager. The deadline to apply is February 4, 2022.
- The Hamilton Children’s Choir is seeking a Development Officer. The deadline to apply is February 6, 2022.
- The Dundas Valley School of Art is hiring an Art Auction Assistant for a six-week contract (March 14 – April 26). The deadline to apply is February 11, 2022.
- The Arts Awards of Waterloo Region is seeking a Coordinator. The deadline to apply is February 11, 2022.
- Deadline Extended- For those looking to enter the Hamilton Fringe Festival, their lottery is now open for all categories. The 2022 Festival will run from July 21-31, 2022. The new deadline to receive lottery applications is February 15, 2022, with the selection process taking place live on February 17.
- The City of St. Catharines is seeking a Culture Coordinator. The deadline to apply is February 28.