Snapshots is your overview of the last week in the arts and entertainment community. From the movers, shakers and moments that matter- and moments that could- Snapshots is everything you need to know at a glance to stay connected to the Hamilton arts sector.
- With new provincial restrictions in effect to minimize community spread of COVID-19, the Federal government has confirmed that the Canada Worker Lockdown Benefit, the Canada Recovery Caregiving Benefit and the Canada Recovery Sickness Benefit have been extended to May 7, 2022. As of December 30, applications are open for an expanded Worker Lockdown Benefit.
- Organizations affected by revenue losses due to the most recent regulations may also be eligible to apply for wage and hiring support and/or the rent and property expense programs.
- The Hamilton Arts Council is hosting its Annual General Meeting virtually at 6pm on Wednesday, January 12, 2022. Learn about the organization’s finances and goals for the coming year. Register to attend here.
- Hamilton Fashion Week is currently casting designers for its February 19 Gala Runway show. Visit their website to learn more and register.
Award Season Is Upon Us
- The City of Hamilton has opened the nomination process for their 2022 Arts Awards. Nominations will be accepted until Friday, January 14, 2022 in the categories of Creator and Lifetime Achievement Award; Arts Champion Award and the Shirley Elford Emerging Artist Commission Prize. The Awards seek to recognize the outstanding achievements of the local arts community, individuals, organizations and community members who support and engage in its work throughout the community.
Here & There
- The Art Gallery of Hamilton is seeking submissions from emerging and established local and regional artists for their April 28 – May 1, 2022 art sale. Interested artists may submit up to 10 works for consideration by Tuesday, February 22nd at 9am. Submissions will be reviewed and juried with all applicants notified of their results in March. Find out more here.
- The Art Gallery of Hamilton is seeking a Senior Manager, Development. The deadline to apply is January 9.
- The City of Hamilton will commission a permanent public art work(s) to be installed on Locke Street at the southwest corner of Jackson Street. Artists will be selected by a citizen jury through a two-stage process. Short-listed artists completing a Stage 2 submission will receive a $700 honorarium, with the winning project being awarded $70,000. Submissions must be submitted by Thursday, January 13 at 3pm to be considered.
- GritLIT is now accepting submissions of fiction or creative non-fiction (3,000 words or less) for their 2022 Short Story Contest. Winners receive $500 (First Place), $150 (two Honourable Mentions). All winners will be invited to read at gritLIT 2022. Winning stories will be published on the gritLIT website. The deadline for submissions is January 15, 2022.
- Hamilton Artists Inc. and Factory Media Centre are partnering to offer eight micro grants to artists working in any medium. Six $500 cash grants, and two media grants (valued at $1,000 of equipment rentals) is available to artists working in any medium. Micro grants may be put towards the cost of creating new or in-progress artworks, with funds spent by March 30, 2023. The deadline to apply is January 15, 2022.
- The Concession Street Business Improvement Association is looking for a banner design to be installed in 2022 on light poles within the BIA area to create a colourful, bold, thoughtful art experience throughout Concession Street. Three selected artists will receive $165 for their design; the winning designer will receive an additional $1,000. Submissions due by January 15, 2022.
- For those looking to enter the Fringe Festival, their lottery is now open for all categories. The 2022 Festival will run from July 21-31, 2022. The deadline to receive lottery applications is January 24, 2022, with the selection process taking place both live and in-person on January 26, 2022.
- The June 4 Imagine in the Park Festival is seeking professional artists and authors who are interested in hosting interactive workshops at Gage Park or creating virtual workshops. Interested parties are invited to apply by February 1, 2022.
- Kitchener’s Open Ears Festival of Music & Sound is seeking a part-time General Manager. The deadline to apply is February 4, 2022.
- The City of St. Catharines is seeking a Culture Coordinator. The deadline to apply is February 28.
- The Hamilton Film Festival is launching a Media Arts School in 2022 and seeking instructors. Proposals are currently being accepted on an ongoing basis for one-time or series of workshops, as well as pre-designed camps.