Snapshots is your overview of the past week in the Hamilton arts and entertainment community. From the people and moments that mattered- and opportunities that might- Snapshots is everything you need to know to stay connected to the Hamilton arts sector.
To add your announcement, call for submissions or news to Snapshots, please email contact [@] beyondjames.com
This Week’s Highlights
- Congratulations to Melanie Tellez, who was announced as Artistic Director of the Hamilton Children’s Choir effective July 1. Tellez has been with the HCC since 2015.
- Congratulations to Kelly Straughan, who officially begins her tenure as Theatre Aquarius’ Executive Director. Straughan succeeds Lorna Zaremba, who retired this week after over twenty years with the company.
- Congratulations to Fareh Malik, who was named the 2022 RBC/PEN Canada New Voices Award Winner. The prestigious award celebrates new Canadian writers.
- The Workers Arts & Heritage Centre announces the departure of Florencia Berinstein, their Executive Director of 9 years. Bernstein is leaving to join Toronto’s Jumblies Theatre.
- Supercrawl has extended their call for vendors. Applications are now due at midnight on July 3.
- The Workers Arts & Heritage Centre seeks an Executive Director. The deadline to apply is July 15 at 5pm.
- The Hamilton Philharmonic Orchestra seeks a Fundraising and Strategic Partnerships Manager. The application process will continue until the role is filled.
- The City of Hamilton invites members of the public to give input on shortlisted proposals for a public art project to be located at the corner of Jackson & Locke Streets by August 22. Please visit the Engage Hamilton website to review proposals and give your feedback.
- The NeuroArts Lab at McMaster is seeking musically-trained research participants for a paid neuroimaging study. Participants will listen to a series of musical and spoken sound clips while undergoing a brain scan. For more information, or to participate, please email [email protected]
Awards Season is Upon Us
- The 2022 Siminovtich Prize is accepting nominations to celebrate the transformative and influential work of directors working in English or French. The successful prize winner will receive national recognition as recipient of the prestigious award, $75,000 and the opportunity to support an emerging artist with mentorship and $25,000. Nominations may be submitted here until July 4, 2022.
- The Hamilton Literary Awards are now accepting submissions for their 29th edition. Works published within the 2021 calendar year are eligible. The deadline is July 17, 2022. For more information, please visit the Hamilton Arts Council’s website.
Here & There
- The Art Gallery of Hamilton is producing an exhibition featuring works created by Hamilton artists between 1950 – 2000. Artwork will be accepted until July 7, 2022. For more information, please visit their site.
- The City of Burlington public art program invites artists, artist-led teams, community groups and organizations to submit their ideas to create art in public spaces celebrating Burlington’s diverse communities. The deadline to apply is July 15. This process is being managed through Cobalt Connects; please visit their site for more details.
- Farside Hamiton is now accepting submissions for their DIY arts space. Visit their website to learn more about potential dates and submission guidelines.
- Telling Tales Festival is seeking a Development Manager. The deadline to apply is July 8, 2022.
- Red Betty Theatre is seeking a General Manager. The deadline to apply is July 8.
- The Art Gallery of Hamilton is seeking on-call Artist Instructors and Freelance Bartenders on an ongoing basis. For full job descriptions or to learn more, please visit their website.
- Arts for All is hiring Artist Educators on an ongoing basis.
- Theatre Ancaster is currently recruiting for a Marketing Coordinator (part-time, paid).
- Red Betty Theatre is seeking a Hamilton-based Stage Manager for an August 2022 production. The role pays $1006/week for 7 weeks. Please visit their website for more information.
- Dusk Dances Hamilton is looking for volunteers for the July 21 – 24 event.
- The Hamilton Fringe Festival is seeking billets for international and touring artists. For more information, or to apply, please fill out this form.
- The Hamilton Fringe Festival is seeking volunteers for a range of roles during the 2022 Festival. To volunteer, please fill out this form.
- Open Heart Arts Theatre is looking to expand their Board of Directors. View their position information sheet for more information and instructions on how to apply.
- Hamilton Artists Inc. is looking for volunteers for a range of roles, including Installation Assistants and Gallery Assistants during Art Crawl and from 12-5pm on Wednesdays through Saturdays. Visit their website for more information.
- Theatre Ancaster is currently recruiting for Board Members (volunteer).