Snapshots is your overview of the past week in the Hamilton arts and entertainment community. From the movers, shakers, moments that mattered- and opportunities that might- Snapshots is everything you need to know to stay connected to the Hamilton arts sector.
To add your announcement, call for submissions or news to Snapshots, please email contact [@] beyondjames.com
This Week’s Highlights
- This week is Museum Week; an international celebration of those interested in having a social impact through culture, and bringing together communities of artists and digital creators committed to social change.
- This week is also the final week of Hamilton Arts Week! Visit the Hamilton Arts Council’s site for a full list of signature events and activities.
- Congratulations to Hamilton writer Catherine Graham for being shortlisted for the Fred Kerner Book Award. Graham was nominated for her lyric poetry collection Æther: An Out-of-Body Lyric.
- The Keddy Access Trail Street Art Project has seven opportunities for artists, collectives, or artist-led teams to create a mural. View the full call for artists here and apply by June 30, 2022.
- The Burlington Waterfront Sculpture Trail, a 1km trail linking the Art Gallery of Burlington, Spencer Smith Park and the Downtown Burlington BIA has a call for multiple sculptural artists. View the full call for artists here and apply by July 1, 2022.
- Doolally Productions is seeking a Stage Manager for their Hamilton Fringe Festival Production.
- The Hamilton Fringe Festival is hiring for Venue Captains and Bartenders. The deadline to apply for both roles is June 30, 2022.
- Telling Tales Festival is seeking a Development Manager. The deadline to apply is July 8, 2022.
- Red Betty Theatre is seeking a General Manager. The deadline to apply is July 8.
- Dusk Dances Hamilton is looking for volunteers for the July 21 – 24 event.
- The NeuroArts Lab at McMaster is seeking musically-trained research participants for a paid neuroimaging study. Participants will listen to a series of musical and spoken sound clips while undergoing a brain scan. For more information, or to participate, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Theatre Aquarius announces the appointment of Kelly Straughan to the position of Executive Director, effective July 2022. Straughan succeeds longtime Executive Director Lorna Zaremba, who retires after over twenty years with the theatre company.
Awards Season is Upon Us
- The 2022 Siminovtich Prize is accepting nominations to celebrate the transformative and influential work of directors working in English or French. The successful prize winner will receive national recognition as recipient of the prestigious award, $75,000 and the opportunity to support an emerging artist with mentorship and $25,000. Nominations may be submitted here until July 4, 2022.
- The Hamilton Literary Awards are now accepting submissions for their 29th edition. Works published within the 2021 calendar year are eligible. The deadline is July 17, 2022. For more information, please visit the Hamilton Arts Council’s website.
Here & There
- The Hamilton Arts Council and the Cotton Factory are also looking for a mid-career visual artist who is interested in participating in the European Artist Exchange Program. The program provides airfare and studio live/work accommodation in Estonia, as well as a weekly residency stipend and production allowance for material costs. Apply by June 19 here.
- The Burlington Public Library is receiving submissions for their 2022 writing contest, open to those ages 10 and up. The deadline to submit is June 30.
- The Art Gallery of Hamilton is producing an exhibition featuring works created by Hamilton artists between 1950 – 2000. Artwork will be accepted until July 7, 2022. For more information, please visit their site.
- The City of Burlington public art program invites artists, artist-led teams, community groups and organizations to submit their ideas to create art in public spaces celebrating Burlington’s diverse communities. The deadline to apply is July 15. This process is being managed through Cobalt Connects; please visit their site for more details.
- Shari Lee Hollis & Studio Beulah have opened a call for artists for Art MRKT Project; an art print project that features artists from Hamilton and beyond, showcasing limited edition prints at Hamilton’s Ottawa Market and Dundurn Market.To apply, send 2-3 images, a short bio and links to your website and social media to email@example.com
- Red Betty Theatre is seeking a Hamilton-based Stage Manager for an August 2022 production. The role pays $1006/week for 7 weeks. Please visit their website for more information.
- The FirstOntario Performing Arts Centre (St. Catharines) is seeking a Ticketing Services Manager. The deadline to apply is July 1, 2022.
- The Art Gallery of Hamilton is seeking on-call Artist Instructors and Freelance Bartenders on an ongoing basis. For full job descriptions or to learn more, please visit their website.
- Arts for All is hiring Artist Educators on an ongoing basis.
- Theatre Ancaster is currently recruiting for a Marketing Coordinator (part-time, paid).
- The Hamilton Fringe Festival is seeking billets for international and touring artists. For more information, or to apply, please fill out this form.
- The Hamilton Fringe Festival is seeking volunteers for a range of roles during the 2022 Festival. To volunteer, please fill out this form.
- Open Heart Arts Theatre is looking to expand their Board of Directors. View their position information sheet for more information and instructions on how to apply.
- Hamilton Artists Inc. is looking for volunteers for a range of roles, including Installation Assistants and Gallery Assistants during Art Crawl and from 12-5pm on Wednesdays through Saturdays. Visit their website for more information.
- Theatre Ancaster is currently recruiting for Board Members (volunteer) and a Marketing Coordinator (part-time, paid).