Snapshots is your overview of the past week in the Hamilton arts and entertainment community. From the movers, shakers, moments that mattered- and opportunities that might- Snapshots is everything you need to know to stay connected to the Hamilton arts sector.
This Week’s Highlights
- International Museum Day was Wednesday, May 18. This year’s theme was “The Power of Museums”
- The NeuroArts Lab at McMaster is seeking musically-trained research participants for a paid neuroimaging study. Participants will listen to a series of musical and spoken sound clips while undergoing a brain scan. For more information, or to participate, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Congratulations to Hamilton-based artists Iskwe and Marilo Nunez. Both artists have been named as winners of the 2021 Johanna Metcalf Performing Arts Prizes. Each winner receiving a prize of $25,000 and naming a protege as a way to celebrate early career artists.
- Congratulations to Porch Light Theatre co-founder Aaron Jan, who was named a protege of Johanna Metcalf Performing Arts Prize winner Ravi Jain. As a protege, Jan receives a $10,000 prize.
- The City of Hamilton has announced their shortlisted nominees for the 2022 Hamilton Arts Awards. The recipients will be celebrated at a multi-venue celebration on June 9, 2022 as part of Hamilton Arts Week in association with the Hamilton Arts Council. Learn more here.
- Congratulations to the Arkells, who won Group of the Year at the 2022 JUNO Awards.
- Shari Lee Hollis & Studio Beulah have opened a call for artists for Art MRKT Project; an art print project that features artists from Hamilton and beyond, showcasing limited edition prints at Hamilton’s Ottawa Market and Dundurn Market.To apply, send 2-3 images, a short bio and links to your website and social media to email@example.com
- art aggregate, McCormack Timber Supply Co. and Clifford Brewing Co. are looking for vendors for the August 6 Bash on Nash! 398 Nash Rd. North will be closed off and feature a market, beer garden, food trucks and live entertainment. For a pdf application form, please email firstname.lastname@example.org .
- The Bururet Collective is seeking performers for This Coast Was New; an original short play at the Hamilton Fringe Festival. Submit your video audition submit via self-tape to: email@example.com by May 31st. Submit a monologue of your choice.
- Theatrix Costume House has recently moved to Hamilton. To celebrate, they will be hosting a 2-day event on June 4-5, featuring a parade, opening ceremony, live music and tours of their showroom and event space. Their creative team will also be onsite to discuss their makeup, wig and costume rental abilities. Attendance is free, but advanced registration is required on each day (June 4 & June 5)
Awards Season is Upon Us
- The 2022 Siminovtich Prize is accepting nominations to celebrate the transformative and influential work of directors working in English or French. The successful prize winner will receive national recognition as recipient of the prestigious award, $75,000 and the opportunity to support an emerging artist with mentorship and $25,000. Nominations may be submitted here until July 4, 2022.
Here & There
- The Hamilton Fringe Festival is currently seeking short films (24 minutes or less) by Canadian filmmakers to screen at their Films on the Fringe: Shorts Showcase event on Thursday, July 21, 2022 at 9:00 PM. The deadline to apply is May 30, 2022. Find out more here.
- The Carnegie Gallery is accepting exhibition submissions in all media of fine art or craft for its 2023 programming year. Established and emerging artists are welcome to apply by May 31, 2022. Find out more here.
- Supercrawl is seeking submissions for music, fashion, theatre, dance, performance, talks and spoken word for the 2022 festival (September 9 – 11). The deadline for submissions is May 31, 2022. Find out more here.
- The Hamilton Fringe Festival is hiring Kids Club Camp Counsellors for their 2022 Festival. Applications are due June 1, 2022.
- The Stratford Festival is hiring an Associate Director of Research and Revenue. The deadline to apply is May 22, 2022.
- The Westdale Theatre is hiring a Marketing Coordinator. The deadline to apply is May 24, 2022.
- Arts for All is hiring a Program Coordinator and Administrator. The deadline to apply is May 27, 2022.
- The City of St. Catharines is seeking a Culture Supervisor. The deadline to apply is May 31, 2022.
- Theatre Ancaster is hiring a Musical Theatre Summer Camp Instructor. The deadline to apply is June 4, 2022.
- The Stratford Festival is hiring a Scene Shop Manager. The deadline to apply is June 6, 2022.
- The FirstOntario Performing Arts Centre (St. Catharines) is seeking a Ticketing Services Manager. The deadline to apply is July 1, 2022.
- The Art Gallery of Hamilton is seeking Event Setup and Facilities Support Staff and Freelance Bartenders. For full job descriptions or to learn more, please visit their website.
- Arts for All is hiring Artist Educators on an ongoing basis.
- Open Heart Arts Theatre is looking to expand their Board of Directors. View their position information sheet for more information and instructions on how to apply.
Hamilton Artists Inc. is looking for volunteers for a range of roles, including Installation Assistants and Gallery Assistants during Art Crawl and from 12-5pm on Wednesdays through Saturdays. Visit their website for more information.