Snapshots is your overview of the Hamilton arts and entertainment community. From people, moments and opportunities, Snapshots is everything you need to know, at-a-glance, to stay connected and get involved.
To add your announcement, call for submissions or news to Snapshots, please email contact [@] beyondjames.com
This Week’s Highlights
- Dundas Little Theatre announced open auditions for its upcoming spring production of J.B. Priestley’s An Inspector Calls. Audition will take place on November 13-14 at 7:30pm at the Dundas Little Theatre space.
- The Players’ Guild of Hamilton will hold a Garage Sale on Saturday, November 19 featuring old props, costumes and more.
- INDUSTRY announces WorkWeek; seven days of workshops, classes and events designed to empower Hamilton artists to do the work they want to do. WorkWeek runs from November 21-27 at 486 Barton. Find more information and register here.
- Factory Media Centre is currently accepting video works, audio works and video documentation of installations or performances for its 17th annual Members Screening. To submit by the November 28 deadline, please visit their website.
- Theatre Burlington will host auditions for its upcoming spring production of Matt Murray and Carol-Anne Murray’s Remember Maggy? on November 28 and 30. For more information, visit their website.
- The Hamilton Festival Theatre Company is currently accepting applications for their Disability Justice Artist category for the 2023 Hamilton Fringe Festival. For more information or to apply by the December 14 deadline, please visit their website.
- Congratulations to the many Hamilton authors recently nominated for the 29th annual Hamilton Literary Awards! The Award winners will be announced on December 12.
- The Hamilton Festival Theatre Company seeks a Communications Coordinator. The deadline to apply is November 25.
- The Hamilton Festival Theatre Company seeks a Frost Bites Box Office Coordinator. The deadline to apply is December 2.
- The Hamilton Festival Theatre Company invites writers to submit to the Hamilton Fringe New Play Contest. The deadline to apply is 1pm on November 14. For more details, please visit their website.
- The Hamilton Arts Advisory Commission is presenting a Symposium: The Big Picture, Celebrating Resilience in the Arts on November 18 at the Cotton Factory. For more information, or to register for this free event through the Hamilton Arts Council, please visit this link.
- The City of Hamilton and Cobalt Connects are now accepting applications for Hamilton Winterfest 2023 Community Events, taking place from February 2-20, 2023. The deadline to submit an event is November 25. Learn more on their website.
- The Cotton Factory is currently seeking vendors for their Hello Winter curated handmade market on November 26. To apply, please fill out this form.
- The City of Hamilton is now seeking nominations for the 2023 Arts Awards. The deadline to nominate is December 9.
- The Hamilton Festival Theatre Company is now accepting applications for the 2023 Fringe Festival lottery. For more details, or to apply by December 14 (March 3 for Bring Your Own Venue), please visit their website.
- The 2023 gritLIT short story contest is open until January 31, 2023. Submissions must be original works of fiction or creative non-fiction no more than 2,000 words in length. For more details, visit their website.
- The Hamilton Black Film Festival (HBFF) is now accepting applications for its 2023 film festival, running from May 25-30. Film submission is open until March 25. For more details or to submit a film, please visit their website.
- Mulberry Cafe is accepting submissions from artists interested in having their art up in the Cafe. Send submissions/inquiries to [email protected]
- Farside Hamiton is now accepting submissions for their DIY arts space. Visit their website to learn more about potential dates and submission guidelines.
Here & There
- Toronto’s STEPS Public Art invites applications from Black, Indigenous, racialized, rural and youth with disabilities for the 2023 CreateSpace Public Art Forum. The deadline to apply is November 27.
- The annual Gina Wilkinson Prize is now accepting applications until December 15. The award seeks to recognize theatre artists from underrepresented genders which includes cis women, trans women, and non-binary folks who have acquired foundational training (from a training program or through experience) and have worked for at least 5 years. Please see the full details for nomination and submission information.
- The Playwrights Guild of Canada presents the Playwrights Resiliency Program until March 2023. The program offers free programming in Agency, Effective Workplaces, Legal and Mentorship to professional playwrights to enhance their career resiliency skills. To learn more about the program, please visit their website.
- The Arts Reactivation Program provides a one-time relief payment of up to $2,500 for live performance workers in Canada outside of Quebec, with a focus on theatrical and technical disciplines. Funds will be distributed between July 2022 and March 2023. To determine eligibility or for more information, visit https://www.artsreactivation.ca/
- The Professional Association of Canadian Theatres (PACT) is launching a new Green Award to recognize projects that have a sustainable impact and passion for the connection between the arts and environmental stewardship. Find out more here.
- The Government of Canada via the Department of Canadian Heritage has given the Unison Fund $16 Million to disburse to Canadian live music workers. Any independent or self-employed live music worker can apply for a one-time payment of $2,500.
- The Art Gallery of Hamilton is seeking a Marketing Coordinator. The deadline to apply is November 15.
- Cobalt Connects is currently seeking a Hamilton Winterfest Volunteer Coordinator. The deadline to apply is November 15.
- Cobalt Connects is seeking an Assistant Producer for a 4-month part-time contract. The deadline to apply is November 18.
- The Hamilton Festival Theatre Company is seeking 5 artists or arts supports to form its 23-24 Community Curators Circle. This is a paid role. Visit their website for more information.
- The Hamilton Philharmonic Orchestra seeks a Marketing and Communications Manager. The application process will continue until the role is filled.
- The Art Gallery of Hamilton is seeking on-call Artist Instructors and Freelance Bartenders on an ongoing basis. For full job descriptions or to learn more, please visit their website.
- Arts for All is hiring Artist Educators on an ongoing basis.
- Hamilton Theatre Inc. is seeking a Choreographer, Musical Director, Stage Manager, Costume Designer and Prop Designer for their 2023 production of Something Rotten! For more information or to apply by November 14, please visit their website.
- Hamilton Theatre Inc. is seeking Front of House volunteers (including Ushers, Front of House Manager, Bar Staff) for their November production of Heathers: The Musical. Please visit their website for more information.
- The Westdale Theatre is seeking volunteers. For more information, please visit their website.