Snapshots is your overview of the Hamilton arts and entertainment community. From people, moments and opportunities, Snapshots is everything you need to know, at-a-glance, to stay connected and get involved.
To add your announcement, call for submissions or news to Snapshots, please email contact [@] beyondjames.com
This Week’s Highlights
- November 15 was National Philanthropy Day; a day to celebrate the dedicated individuals who are committed to making our communities stronger- thank you to all of the leaders, fundraisers, funders, philanthropists and volunteers!
- Congratulations to Mohad Abdiyan, Jordan M. Burns, Shayna Burns, Trick Campbell, Sung Won Cho, Faezeh Daemi, Faith Mo and Johnny Thirakul who were named 22-23 ALERT Artistic Creation stream participants by the Hamilton Festival Theatre Company.
- Village Theatre Waterdown will hold auditions for their Spring 2023 show, Girl in the Goldfish Bowl, on November 20-21. Visit their website for more information.
- Flint & Steel Productions are looking for performers for 10-15 minute sets for a variety-show-styled cabaret event on December 9 at 7pm. An honorarium will be provided. Email email@example.com with a details of your act + any relevant information on the performers by November 25.
- The Hamilton Arts Council announces two upcoming professional development events; CARFAC Ontario (November 28) and Canada Council for the Arts: Strategic Innovation Fund (November 29). Registration is required.
- Join a number of arts organizations at the Art Gallery of Hamilton on Tuesday, November 29 for What’s Your Legacy; a session about the benefits of leaving a legacy gift to one of Hamilton’s arts and culture organizations. Registration is required.
- Factory Media Centre will host their AGM on Monday, December 5 at 6pm.
- The Hamilton Arts Council will host their AGM on Wednesday, December 14 at 6pm.
- The Canada Council for the Arts has published their 21-22 Annual Report, which details their progress in terms of funding throughout the first year of their 2021–2026 strategic plan.
- INDUSTRY announces WorkWeek; seven days of workshops, classes and events designed to empower Hamilton artists to do the work they want to do. WorkWeek runs from November 21-27 at 486 Barton. Find more information and register here.
- The Hamilton Festival Theatre Company invites writers to submit to the Hamilton Fringe New Play Contest. The deadline to apply is 11:59pm on November 22. For more details, please visit their website.
- Theatre Burlington will host auditions for its upcoming spring production of Matt Murray and Carol-Anne Murray’s Remember Maggy? on November 28 and 30. For more information, visit their website.
- The City of Hamilton is now seeking nominations for the 2023 Arts Awards. The deadline to nominate is December 9.
- The annual Gina Wilkinson Prize is now accepting applications until December 15. The award seeks to recognize theatre artists from underrepresented genders which includes cis women, trans women, and non-binary folks who have acquired foundational training (from a training program or through experience) and have worked for at least 5 years. Please see the full details for nomination and submission information.
- The Playwrights Guild of Canada presents the Playwrights Resiliency Program until March 2023. The program offers free programming in Agency, Effective Workplaces, Legal and Mentorship to professional playwrights to enhance their career resiliency skills. To learn more about the program, please visit their website.
- The Arts Reactivation Program provides a one-time relief payment of up to $2,500 for live performance workers in Canada outside of Quebec, with a focus on theatrical and technical disciplines. Funds will be distributed between July 2022 and March 2023. To determine eligibility or for more information, visit https://www.artsreactivation.ca/
- The Professional Association of Canadian Theatres (PACT) is launching a new Green Award to recognize projects that have a sustainable impact and passion for the connection between the arts and environmental stewardship. Find out more here.
- The Government of Canada via the Department of Canadian Heritage has given the Unison Fund $16 Million to disburse to Canadian live music workers. Any independent or self-employed live music worker can apply for a one-time payment of $2,500.
- The City of Hamilton and Cobalt Connects are now accepting applications for Hamilton Winterfest 2023 Community Events, taking place from February 2-20, 2023. The deadline to submit an event is November 25. Learn more on their website.
- Toronto’s STEPS Public Art invites applications from Black, Indigenous, racialized, rural and youth with disabilities for the 2023 CreateSpace Public Art Forum. The deadline to apply is November 27.
- Factory Media Centre is currently accepting video works, audio works and video documentation of installations or performances for its 17th annual Members Screening. To submit by the November 28 deadline, please visit their website.
- The Hamilton Festival Theatre Company is now accepting applications for the 2023 Fringe Festival lottery. For more details, or to apply by December 14 (March 3 for Bring Your Own Venue), please visit their website.
- The Hamilton Festival Theatre Company is currently accepting applications for their Disability Justice Artist category for the 2023 Hamilton Fringe Festival. For more information or to apply by the December 14 deadline, please visit their website.
- The 2023 gritLIT short story contest is open until January 31, 2023. Submissions must be original works of fiction or creative non-fiction no more than 2,000 words in length. For more details, visit their website.
- The Hamilton Black Film Festival (HBFF) is now accepting applications for its 2023 film festival, running from May 25-30. Film submission is open until March 25. For more details or to submit a film, please visit their website.
- Mulberry Cafe is accepting submissions from artists interested in having their art up in the Cafe. Send submissions/inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Farside Hamiton is now accepting submissions for their DIY arts space. Visit their website to learn more about potential dates and submission guidelines.
- The Hamilton Festival Theatre Company seeks a Communications Coordinator. The deadline to apply is November 25.
- The Hamilton Festival Theatre Company seeks a Frost Bites Box Office Coordinator. The deadline to apply is December 2.
- The Hamilton Festival Theatre Company is seeking 5 artists or arts supports to form its 23-24 Community Curators Circle. This is a paid role. Visit their website for more information.
- The Hamilton Philharmonic Orchestra seeks a Marketing and Communications Manager. The application process will continue until the role is filled.
- The Art Gallery of Hamilton is seeking on-call Artist Instructors and Freelance Bartenders on an ongoing basis. For full job descriptions or to learn more, please visit their website.
- Arts for All is hiring Artist Educators on an ongoing basis.
- Hamilton Theatre Inc. is seeking Front of House volunteers (including Ushers, Front of House Manager, Bar Staff) for their November production of Heathers: The Musical. Please visit their website for more information.
- The Westdale Theatre is seeking volunteers. For more information, please visit their website.