Snapshots is your overview of the past week in the Hamilton arts and entertainment community. From people, moments and opportunities, Snapshots is everything you need to know, at-a-glance, to stay connected.
To add your announcement, call for submissions or news to Snapshots, please email contact [@] beyondjames.com
This Week’s Highlights
- Congratulations to the Burlington Waterfront Sculpture Trail artist winners: Mary Philpott (Best in Show); Tom Wilson & Mark Pflieger (Audience Choice) and Robyn Lightwalker (Emerging Artist).
- Hamilton Artists’ Inc. is still accepting applications for vendors for the Quirky AF Art Fair on November 11 – 12. Applications are due today via email at email@example.com.
- The City of Hamilton and Cobalt Connects are now accepting applications for Hamilton Winterfest 2023 Community Events, taking place from February 2-20, 2023. The deadline to submit an event is November 25. Learn more on their website.
- The Cotton Factory is currently seeking vendors for their Hello Winter curated handmade market on November 26. To apply, please fill out this form.
- The arts community mourns the loss of Valerie Jackson; a ceramic artist who was a long-time member of the Dundas Valley School of Art pottery studio
- St. Catharines’ Suitcase In Point is currently accepting applications for their eight-month Nest residency to deepen the relationship between local new generation artists and the broader artistic community. For more details or to apply by October 24, visit their website.
- Toronto’s STEPS Public Art invites applications from Black, Indigenous, racialized, rural and youth with disabilities for the 2023 CreateSpace Public Art Forum. The deadline to apply is November 27.
- The Westdale Cinema is seeking Theatre Supervisors and Theatre Associates. The deadline to apply is October 28 at 6pm.
- Theatrix Costume House is seeking a Show Coordinator. The deadline to apply is November 4.
- Cobalt Connects is currently seeking a Hamilton Winterfest Volunteer Coordinator. The deadline to apply is November 15.
- Factory Media Centre celebrates their new gallery and studio opening on October 21. From 6-11pm, visit their new 1-366 Victoria Avenue North location for an evening of exhibition receptions, tours and performances.
- The Hamilton Indie Musician Development Program is accepting applications from musicians/bands wanting individual assistance on marketing or branding, tour planning or fan/audience development. Space is limited with applications accepted until all spots are filled or October 29. Apply through the City of Hamilton.
- The City of Hamilton City Enrichment Fund (CEF) is accepting applications until November 2 for funding areas including Agriculture, Arts, Communities, Culture & Heritage, Community Services, Environment, Sports & Active Lifestyles and Digital (New Pilot Program). For more details, please visit their website.
- The Hamilton Festival Theatre Company invites applicants from artists, companies or collectives with a community-engaged arts practice or whose current work explores themes of social justice to apply to perform in Frost Bites 2023. The deadline to apply is November 7. For more details, please visit their website.
- The Hamilton Festival Theatre Company invites writers to submit to the Hamilton Fringe New Play Contest. The deadline to apply is 1pm on November 14. For more details, please visit their website.
- The Hamilton Arts Advisory Commission is presenting a Symposium: The Big Picture, Celebrating Resilience in the Arts on November 18 at the Cotton Factory. For more information, or to register for this free event through the Hamilton Arts Council, please visit this link.
- The Hamilton Black Film Festival (HBFF) is now accepting applications for its 2023 film festival, running from May 25-30. Film submission is open until March 25. For more details or to submit a film, please visit their website.
- Mulberry Cafe is accepting submissions from artists interested in having their art up in the Cafe. Send submissions/inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Farside Hamiton is now accepting submissions for their DIY arts space. Visit their website to learn more about potential dates and submission guidelines.
Here & There
- The 2023 CBC Short Story Prize is now open for submissions, The deadline to submit is Oct. 31 at 11:59pm. For full guidelines, including prize details, visit their website.
- The annual Gina Wilkinson Prize is now accepting applications until December 15. The award seeks to recognize theatre artists from underrepresented genders which includes cis women, trans women, and non-binary folks who have acquired foundational training (from a training program or through experience) and have worked for at least 5 years. Please see the full details for nomination and submission information.
- The Playwrights Guild of Canada presents the Playwrights Resiliency Program until March 2023. The program offers free programming in Agency, Effective Workplaces, Legal and Mentorship to professional playwrights to enhance their career resiliency skills. To learn more about the program, please visit their website.
- The Arts Reactivation Program provides a one-time relief payment of up to $2,500 for live performance workers in Canada outside of Quebec, with a focus on theatrical and technical disciplines. Funds will be distributed between July 2022 and March 2023. To determine eligibility or for more information, visit https://www.artsreactivation.ca/
- The Professional Association of Canadian Theatres (PACT) is launching a new Green Award to recognize projects that have a sustainable impact and passion for the connection between the arts and environmental stewardship. Find out more here.
- The Government of Canada via the Department of Canadian Heritage has given the Unison Fund $16 Million to disburse to Canadian live music workers. Any independent or self-employed live music worker can apply for a one-time payment of $2,500.
- The Burlington Performing Arts Centre seeks a Front of House Coordinator. The deadline to apply is October 28.
- The Hamilton Philharmonic Orchestra seeks a Marketing and Communications Manager. The application process will continue until the role is filled.
- The Art Gallery of Hamilton is seeking on-call Artist Instructors and Freelance Bartenders on an ongoing basis. For full job descriptions or to learn more, please visit their website.
- Arts for All is hiring Artist Educators on an ongoing basis.
- Hamilton Theatre Inc. is seeking a Choreographer, Musical Director, Stage Manager, Costume Designer and Prop Designer for their 2023 production of Something Rotten! For more information or to apply, please visit their website.
- The Westdale Theatre is seeking volunteers. For more information, please visit their website.