Snapshots is your overview of the past week in the Hamilton arts and entertainment community. From people, moments and opportunities, Snapshots is everything you need to know, at-a-glance, to stay connected.
To add your announcement, call for submissions or news to Snapshots, please email contact [@] beyondjames.com
This Week’s Highlights
- The 2022 Musicians Conference is happening October 17-19. All sessions will be available online from 7-8pm each evening. Visit their website for more information.
- The Hamilton Festival Theatre Company invites applicants from artists, companies or collectives with a community-engaged arts practice or whose current work explores themes of social justice to apply to perform in Frost Bites 2023. The deadline to apply is November 7. For more details, please visit their website.
- The Hamilton Festival Theatre Company invites writers to submit to the Hamilton Fringe New Play Contest. The deadline to apply is 1pm on November 14. For more details, please visit their website.
- The Hamilton Arts Advisory Commission is presenting a Symposium: The Big Picture, Celebrating Resilience in the Arts on November 18 at the Cotton Factory. For more information, or to register for this free event through the Hamilton Arts Council, please visit this link.
- Congratulations to Camille Intson, who was nominated for New/Emerging Artist of the Year at the 2023 Canadian Folk Music Awards for her album, Troubadour. Award recipients will be named in March/April 2023.
- Congratulations to David Willms, who was recently named Music Director of the Hamilton Philharmonic Youth Orchestra. Willms will be welcomed to his first rehearsal on October 15.
- ArtsPond is seeking eight creative visionaries to joining #TogetherThere; a 16-week residency on digital justice in Canadian arts and culture. For more information or to apply by October 17, please visit their website.
- Music Declares Emergency Canada will be hosting a Music Climate Summit on October 21 with an evening panel, keynote from David Suzuki and concert with the theme “No Music on a Dead Planet” to celebrate the role of music and art in confronting the climate emergency. This event is in Toronto. For more information or to register, please visit their website.
- The Art Gallery of Burlington seeks a Head of Development. The deadline to apply is October 14.
- The Art Gallery of Hamilton seeks a Development Officer. The deadline to apply is October 17.
- Hamilton Artists Inc., is seeking an Artist in Residence/Gallery Assistant for a 21-week internship supported through Young Canada Works. The deadline to apply is October 17.
- The Burlington Performing Arts Centre seeks a Front of House Coordinator. The deadline to apply is October 28.
- The Hamilton Philharmonic Orchestra seeks a Marketing and Communications Manager. The application process will continue until the role is filled.
- Hamilton Theatre Inc. is hosting auditions for Disney’s Descendants: The Musical on October 21-22. For more information or to book a time to audition, please visit their website.
- Hamilton Theatre Inc. is seeking a Choreographer, Musical Director, Stage Manager, Costume Designer and Prop Designer for their 2023 production of Something Rotten! For more information or to apply, please visit their website.
- The Westdale Theatre is seeking volunteers. For more information, please visit their website.
- The Women’s Art Association of Hamilton is accepting entries for a December-February exhibition. The submission deadline is October 10. Learn more on their website.
- The Hamilton Indie Musician Development Program is accepting applications from musicians/bands wanting individual assistance on marketing or branding, tour planning or fan/audience development. Space is limited with applications accepted until all spots are filled or October 29. Apply through the City of Hamilton.
- Mulberry Cafe is accepting submissions from artists interested in having their art up in the Cafe. Send submissions/inquiries to email@example.com
- Farside Hamiton is now accepting submissions for their DIY arts space. Visit their website to learn more about potential dates and submission guidelines.
Here & There
- Ontario Culture Days continues to run until October 16. Celebrate arts, culture and creativity with a number of free events. To see free events in Hamilton, visit this site.
- The 2023 CBC Short Story Prize is now open for submissions, The deadline to submit is Oct. 31 at 11:59pm. For full guidelines, including prize details, visit their website.
- The Arts Reactivation Program provides a one-time relief payment of up to $2,500 for live performance workers in Canada outside of Quebec, with a focus on theatrical and technical disciplines. Funds will be distributed between July 2022 and March 2023. To determine eligibility or for more information, visit https://www.artsreactivation.ca/
- The Professional Association of Canadian Theatres (PACT) is launching a new Green Award to recognize projects that have a sustainable impact and passion for the connection between the arts and environmental stewardship. Find out more here.
- The Government of Canada via the Department of Canadian Heritage has given the Unison Fund $16 Million to disburse to Canadian live music workers. Any independent or self-employed live music worker can apply for a one-time payment of $2,500.
- The Art Gallery of Hamilton is seeking on-call Artist Instructors and Freelance Bartenders on an ongoing basis. For full job descriptions or to learn more, please visit their website.
- Arts for All is hiring Artist Educators on an ongoing basis.