Snapshots is your overview of the past week in the Hamilton arts and entertainment community. From people, moments and opportunities, Snapshots is everything you need to know, at-a-glance, to stay connected.
To add your announcement, call for submissions or news to Snapshots, please email contact [@] beyondjames.com
This Week’s Highlights
- Hamilton hosted this year’s Music Cities Forum on September 7-8. The forum, hosted by Sonic Unyon, the City of Hamilton and Supercrawl Productions, looked regionally at best practices to use music to improve city life.
- The Hamilton Book Crawl is cancelled until further notice. The crawl expects to be back once the Concession Street BIA has a new Executive Director.
- McMaster University opens a new exhibit this week, curated by Betty Julian. Entitled Movers and Makers, the group exhibition features photographic works by four early-career Toronto-based artists: Aaron Jones, Christina Leslie, Dainesha Nugent-Palache and Bidemi Oloyede.
- McMaster University opens a new exhibit this week, curated by Pamela Edmonds. Entitled self/same/other, the exhibit brings together artworks from the gallery’s permanent collection that present diverse ways of exploring self-imaging and subjectivity through different types of photo-based media.
- Hamilton Artists’ Inc. welcomes applications for vendors for the Quirky AF Art Fair on November 11 – 12. Applications close on September 14.
- The City of Burlington seeks Expressions of interest from professional artists or artist teams to create a mural for a large exterior wall as part of the Mountainside Pool Revitalization Project. Expressions of Interest are due September 16, 2022. The full call to artists can be viewed here.
- The City of Hamilton invites members of the public to give input on strategies and a vision for the Hamilton Waterfront Trust Centre property and adjacent lands. A 5-10 minute survey to gather input is available on the Engage Hamilton website until September 23.
- The Women’s Art Association of Hamilton is accepting entries for a December-February exhibition. The submission deadline is October 10. Learn more on their website.
- The Hamilton Indie Musician Development Program is accepting applications from musicians/bands wanting individual assistance on marketing or branding, tour planning or fan/audience development. Space is limited with applications accepted until all spots are filled or October 29. Apply through the City of Hamilton.
- The Bach Elgar Choir is looking for choristers for their 2022-23 season. To book an audition in August or September, please submit this form.
- Mulberry Cafe is accepting submissions from artists interested in having their art up in the Cafe. Send submissions/inquiries to [email protected]
- Farside Hamiton is now accepting submissions for their DIY arts space. Visit their website to learn more about potential dates and submission guidelines.
Here & There
- The 2023 CBC Short Story Prize is now open for submissions, The deadline to submit is Oct. 31 at 11:59pm. For full guidelines, including prize details, visit their website.
- The Arts Reactivation Program provides a one-time relief payment of up to $2,500 for live performance workers in Canada outside of Quebec, with a focus on theatrical and technical disciplines. Funds will be distributed between July 2022 and March 2023. To determine eligibility or for more information, visit https://www.artsreactivation.ca/
- The Professional Association of Canadian Theatres (PACT) is launching a new Green Award to recognize projects that have a sustainable impact and passion for the connection between the arts and environmental stewardship. Find out more here.
- The Government of Canada via the Department of Canadian Heritage has given the Unison Fund $16 Million to disburse to Canadian live music workers. Any independent or self-employed live music worker can apply for a one-time payment of $2,500.
- St. Catharines First Ontario Performing Arts Centre seeks a Ticketing Service Agent. The deadline to apply is September 16.
- The Art Gallery of Burlington seeks a Head of Learning. The deadline to apply is September 19.
- The Hamilton Philharmonic Orchestra seeks a Fundraising and Strategic Partnerships Manager. The application process will continue until the role is filled.
- The Art Gallery of Hamilton is seeking on-call Artist Instructors and Freelance Bartenders on an ongoing basis. For full job descriptions or to learn more, please visit their website.
- Arts for All is hiring Artist Educators on an ongoing basis.
- Factory Media Centre has an open call for Board Members. The deadline to apply is October 10. For more information and the role of Board Members, please visit their website.